Monday, October 12, 2015

Margaret Atwood!

Ben and I are both obsessed with Margaret Atwood. His favorite is Oryx and Crake, my favorite is The Blind Assassin, but everything she writes is great and we love her. And today she came to the Bay Area to read from and sign her new book!
Yay, we're going to see Margaret Atwood!
She read from the new book a little bit, which was exciting because we haven't read it yet (we've been waiting for tonight to get our copy), and then answered audience questions for a while. She had a much drier sense of humor than I had expected - for example, someone asked her how she keeps her life "full of vibrancy" (which is a pretty weird question, I think), and she deadpanned "you are making an assumption that my life is full of vibrancy in the first place." Someone else asked a complicated question about the relation between her themes and her plots, and her response was just "someone's got a term paper, I take it." And when asked why her speculative fiction, specifically the MaddAddam trilogy, is so pessimistic, she said "well, I don't think it is... I didn't kill the animals."
Can't wait to dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment