Monday, February 28, 2011

Like, woah!

Ben and I got to spend some time hanging out with his extended family over the weekend. The highlight was definitely bonding with his 10 year old cousin, whose first statement to me was "you learn all kinds of cool things when you're trying to fall asleep!" I asked her to elaborate, and she described how she had figured out a whole variety of things, like if you look at the same object with only your left eye versus your right eye it looks different, but one eye makes it look more different than the other - so, basically, ocular dominance. I was impressed, but not half as much as when she revealed her most recent discovery: you can't hum when you pinch your nose!

Now, maybe everyone reading already knew that and thinks I am an idiot, but I had no idea, so when I hummed and pinched my nose and couldn't hum anymore it blew my mind. Also, I spent all day at work sharing this discovery with people, and none of them knew about it either (or maybe they were all humoring me). Anyway, the moral of the story is that Ben's little cousin is a genius, and I should stop wasting my "trying to fall asleep time."

2 comments:

  1. last night when i was trying to fall asleep i learned how to play the harp

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've no doubt discovered you can hum for a half a second or so if you let your cheeks fill with air as you hum with your nose pinched.

    Next step: circular breathing.

    ReplyDelete