Sunday, August 7, 2011

Drum Corps!

Yesterday my high school band friends and I drove to Allentown, PA for day two of the Drum Corps International Eastern Classic (for those of you who aren't also band nerds, it's basically a professional marching band competition, and it's awesome). I thought I would try and take some pictures of the bands, but it was raining most of the night so the only picture I got is of me and my friend Joe wearing improvised trash bag ponchos:


My favorite corps is the Cadets (and Joe is an alum!), and this year their show did not disappoint. They split themselves in two and did a pretty epic good vs. evil thing, which included them having two separate uniforms and culminated in a giant "fight" during the percussion feature:


(That video is from earlier in the season, because their colorguard now have much cooler costumes. I also found a video of their whole show here, but it's during a rehearsal and the sound quality isn't great.)

The second coolest show of the night was Carolina Crown, who did a mash-up of classic rock songs and Rachmaninoff, entitled "Rach Star." I couldn't find a great video, but this gives you a pretty good idea of what it was like:



Now I really wish I was going to the championships in Indianapolis next week...

2 comments:

  1. I have been seeing DCI stuff pop up in my friends' statuses on facebook for a while now. As soon as I saw this entry I thought, "wait, Caroline is into marching band too??" Then I was like... oh wait, somehow I know that.

    I thought I recognized the Cadets feature as a boss battle song from Final Fantasy VIII, but it actually turns out to be a song called 160 BPM from the Angels and Demons soundtrack. I heard that in Texas they do that song at 210 BPM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They still do it at 160 in Texas, it's just bps instead of bpm.

    ReplyDelete