Sunday, August 14, 2011

I love to cross stitch!

UPDATE: I ended up getting in touch with Randall Munroe and mailing it to him! He thanked me and said he was "delighted" to have it - life dream achieved!
ANOTHER UPDATE: I posted the pattern for this project here.

Alternate title for this post: x-stitch-cd.

Okay you guys, check it out:


Just to be clear, that is not a framed printout of "xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel," that is a framed cross-stitch of it.


It took about a month of obsessive stitching, as well as an entire skein of black thread. For context on how much thread that is, I have yet to go through a full skein of any other color with all of my other projects, combined. Ben kept calling it my "magnum opus" while I was working on it, but I'm not entirely sure if he was being a supportive fiance or making fun of me for waking up early to cross stitch before work.

Now that it's done, it is my dream to send it to Randall Munroe and have him acknowledge my existence in some way, but so far it's still in my house because:
  1. I can't find a PO Box on the xkcd website, and
  2. I am afraid that Randall Munroe hates cross stitch and will laugh at me while throwing it in the garbage, and then I will be sad.
So if anyone knows where Randall Munroe gets his mail and/or how he feels about cross stitch, let me know! And in the mean time, you can click on the pictures below to see close-ups of the different sections. If you only look at one, you should check out the ball pits. Oh God, the ball pits.




4 comments:

  1. Could you e-mail him this post? press@xkcd.com is the best I could find for an e-mail address.

    (Also, my blog moved.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed. Not only is that an amazingly awesome idea, but it's executed so flawlessly! At first I was like, why did you give it away??? But then I realized I regularly give away my crochet masterpieces, and it brings me a lot of joy.

    Anyway, super props from a fellow crafster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Awesome that Randall liked it too.

    ReplyDelete