Sunday, October 23, 2011

Open source x-stitch-cd

I've had a few requests for a pattern for my xkcd cross-stitch, and while I (sadly) don't have pattern-making software, I was able to get a somewhat decent scan of the pattern I drew:
  • Top half
  • Bottom half
  • Ball pit (This part was just a randomly generated matrix of R/G/B/Y, thanks MATLAB!) To make the top row of balls look wavy, I alternated 3/4 stitches with full stitches and blanks, so the top row was like /X\_/X\_/X\_/X\
I used 18-count white aida cloth, and 2 strands of floss for pretty much everything - the exception being fine things (like the hair on the female stick figures) and pale lettering (like "internet" and "outernet"), which I did with 1 strand. In addition to black, I used the following colors:
  • DMC 3046 (medium yellow beige) for the map of the internet, bakery rolls, and trees
  • DMC 304 (medium red) for the sheets, spider, cape, skateboard, roller coaster, and red balls
  • DMC 444 (darl lemon) for the yellow balls
  • DMC 702 (kelly green) for the green balls
  • DMC 826 (medium blue) for the blue balls
  • DMC 647 (medium beaver gray) for the transistor
The finished product was about 9" x 12" - which was quite convenient for framing purposes.

Hope that helps any nerdy cross-stitchers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment