Saturday, October 20, 2012

Neuroscience

So, I've been pretty out of the neuroscience loop since graduating four years ago, but this nonsense really got my blood boiling. I stewed about it for a few days, before finally sending Dario Maestripieri this email:
Dear Professor Maestripieri,

My name is Caroline Rubin, and I have a BS in Brain and Cognitive Sciences from MIT. MIT doesn't award honors, but I graduated with a perfect GPA and departmental awards for both outstanding research and outstanding academic record. I was hoping you could help me with a question that has been nagging at me since I began my career in science - am I physically attractive enough? I became interested in science, as all young girls do, out of a desire to aesthetically please male scientists, and I am concerned that I may not be doing the job well enough. My current colleagues insist on evaluating me based solely on the quality of my work instead of my sex appeal; it's very frustrating and degrading. I have attached some data to assist in your assessment; I am hoping your finely tuned eye and vast research experience can finally put this question to rest for me.

Best,
Caroline
Here is the data I attached:
Ben said this is me being a sarcastic asshole at its finest, which I am taking as a compliment. I am very curious to see if he writes me back!

Oh, and for all my lady scientist friends, his email address is dario@uchicago.edu. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. This is the best thing you've ever posted.

    And you've posted some good stuff before.

    ReplyDelete