Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ann Arbor!

Last week was my last in San Francisco; Friday morning we flew to Ann Arbor for our friends' wedding, and I just arrived in Charlotte for a week-long work conference. After that I'll meet up with Ben in San Diego for a few days of vacation before we finally return home to Philly!

We had thought we would spend some time exploring Ann Arbor this weekend, but a combination of rain and jet lag resulted in us only really leaving the hotel for the wedding itself. It was at the University of Michigan, which is home to the fanciest water fountains and coolest-named conference rooms I've ever encountered.
Marble and wood paneling!
WOLVERINE ROOM!

Also, because of this crazy sign in the hallway, I learned that the U of M was initially supposed to be a “Catholepistemiad,” which is an academy of universal knowledge. Vocabulary building!

The bride is even craftier than I am, as evidenced by - among many other impressive wedding crafts - this glorious cake topper:
The cake is giant lego pieces!

However, I did attempt to contribute my own nerdy craftiness in the form of the wedding sampler I made them:
10 points for whoever decodes the binary border first!

We would have liked to stay longer today to keep socializing, but the flight options out of Detroit are pretty limited so we had to head out bright and early. It seems the TSA knew I was coming, though, or at least knew where I was going - check out the liner in the security checkpoint trays:

Cool, but I can't say I'm thrilled to be associated with the TSA.

Two weeks and two cities until we're back home!

4 comments:

  1. the robot cross-stitch is soooooo awesome! we love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Assuming you decoded the border??

      Delete
    2. As soon as we opened it :)

      Delete
    3. Woohoo! I was so terrified I was going to make a "typo," I had Ben cross-check me like every other stitch.

      Delete