Sunday, July 21, 2013

Breakfast and Stairs

For our final non-working day in San Francisco, we went to the Buena Vista Cafe for Irish coffee and corn beef hash. The Buena Vista's creation story is that they brought Irish coffee to America - I have no idea how true that is, but they certainly have it down to an art form, and it seemed that's what everyone in the whole place was drinking. They make them in large batches all at once, and as soon as one batch is ready it gets snapped up and served by the waitstaff in under a minute.
First they add the sugar cubes. Not pictured is that before this the glasses were filled with hot water to warm them up.
I missed him pouring the coffee, but here he is quickly stirring in the sugar - notice how the liquid is still sloshing in the glasses.
Adding the whiskey. He is crazy fast - I picked up the camera when he started, and by the time I snapped the picture he was already on the last glass.
Last but not least, adding the cream. To the left you can see new glasses full of hot water, about to start the process over again.
Ben enjoying the finished product.
After our hearty breakfast, we went to the 16th Avenue tiled steps for one last classic San Francisco sweaty and out-of-breath steep climb.
Look at all those stairs!
Ben almost at the top.
The view from the top probably would have been impressive, but in true SF-style it was too foggy to see beyond a few blocks. At least the (mosaic) sun was out on the stairs!

Shout out to my dad for recommend the Buena Vista and Quinn for recommending the tiled steps, and making our last weekend day here great.

1 comment:

  1. I love coffee. I need coffee in my daily breakfast. I like your pictures of stairs. These stairs are looking nice.

    Regards,
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete