Monday, January 19, 2015

We The People

Some pictures from today's Reclaim MLK march in Philadelphia:

School District of Philadelphia central office
City Hall
National Constitution Center
Independence Hall
I have been reading Dr. King's Letter From a Birmingham Jail and thinking a lot about the part about White moderates who agree with the civil rights movement but don't actually do anything to further its goals. I think about the White people who read about lynchings and beatings and did nothing and I feel so incredulous - and then I ask myself what have I done about the ongoing murders of so many unarmed Black people by the police. I have been letting myself off the hook because I work for a nonprofit whose mission is educational equity, but that's not enough. I need to learn more, I need to march more, I need to give back more, and I need to talk to my fellow White people about these issues more. Dr. King also said "large segments of White society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity" - I have let myself be too content with tranquility, and that needs to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment