Thursday, December 23, 2010

My Big Break

A few days ago I got this email:
Dear Ms. Rubin:
Pearson Education is preparing the following title for publication:
Title: Writing in the Disciplines: A Reader and Rhetoric for Academic Writers, 7th ed.
Author(s): Mary Kennedy, William J Kennedy
Publication Date: 7/15/2011
Number of Pages: 640
Estimated First Printing: 4370
Proposed Price: $57.00
We request non-exclusive rights to include the selection(s) listed at the bottom of this letter in the format specified.

Sincerely,
W. Hall
Permissions Researcher

Selection(s) Requested:
Caroline Rubin, "The Gendered Language of Gamete 'Donation." (text only). Kampf Prize essay, MIT Program in Women's & Gender Studies.
After checking with the MIT Women's Studies Department and the Professor I wrote that essay for, it seems that this is legit. I guess the editors of this textbook somehow found the essay I wrote that won the Kamp prize in 2008, and for whatever reason want to include it in the newest edition. So basically, I am getting published despite never having submitted anything, which I'm sure means that I am just famous and wonderful in every way. Or something like that.

Anyway, I emailed the guy and asked if I could get a copy of the book for granting my permission ($57 is a lot, even if it's for tangible proof of my awesomeness) and he said no problem. So come July 15, expect an entry with a photo of my name in a table of contents!

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! You're famous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will surpass and eclipse the opening of HP VII, pt. 2, which opens on the same day.

    ReplyDelete