Monday, March 7, 2011

Yay, it's up!

Remember when I raved about Kaya Henderson's closing remarks from one of the sessions I went to at the TFA summit? Well, video of that session is now up! In case you're not up for watching the full thing, the part that I really liked starts at 1:12 - right after she talks about peeing her pants.
When Michelle asked me, when she decided she was going to step down and she said, "I need you to do this, I need you to stay" I was like, "stay, are you crazy?" That was not the plan. See, the plan was to come to DC Public Schools, to work for seven years - the three years of the first Fenty term and the four years of the second Fenty term - and then go make some money, open up a new consulting firm that told everybody what we did, go back to our lives where we traveled and chilled and I could get a haircut in the middle of the day and, you know, have a life. I'm forty years old, I need to have a baby - there's all kinds of stuff going on! And this lady says, "I need you to stay and be the superintendent of DC public schools," are you smoking crack? But at the end of the day, I could go. I could leave today... I could go make a whole lot of money, I could have a life where I work a few days a week, I could go have a baby, I could do whatever I want to do. It would be really comfortable. It would be really comfortable to leave what I've been doing, and to do what would make me feel good. Except it wouldn't make me feel good. At the end of the day, despite the fact that some nights I don't go to sleep, despite the fact that I have crazy people screaming at me all day, it is absolutely uncomfortable, but I can't go home and sit down and make money when this pressing issue is here and there is something I can actually do to contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment