Sunday, November 13, 2011

Schmaltz

I am slightly embarrassed to admit it, but I made a horrifyingly cheesy baby sampler:


Ben's sister had a daughter, and she is really into pink and princesses, so I thought it seemed appropriate. It actually turned out to be somewhat difficult to stitch, since it is so detailed:


Unlike the cartoon-ish stuff I usually make, this pattern called for all sorts of complicated shading and other nonsense - it had nine different shades of pink alone. The way it worked was kind of neat, though - after stitching a base of all the different pinks, yellows, greens, and browns in a pixelated mess, you stitch an outline around the main figure and suddenly it looks like something.

Before outlining
After outlining
It's cool how your brain works.

2 comments:

  1. I've made so many samplers just like that, mostly for weddings. But I know exactly what you mean by the complex shading. I did one full of roses that had eight shades of pink/red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was somewhat crazy-making; I kept having to hold the embroidery floss up to the light to try and figure out which was "light coral" and which was "very light coral." In retrospect, it probably would have looked basically the same either way.

    ReplyDelete