Wednesday, March 26, 2014

FUTURISTIC SKY TRAIN!!

I am in Madison, Wisconsin for a conference - I flew in this morning via a connection through the Detroit airport. The connection was tight so I had to hustle between opposite ends of the airport, but I wish I could have lingered because holy cow the Detroit airport is awesome! Check it out, they have a driverless robot train that runs inside the terminal:
Picture from wikipedia because I was running through the airport.

Then, to get between terminals, you go through this groovy underground tunnel that has undulating lights and music as you move through it:
Another google image search picture.

My flight home has a longer connection, and I am dorkily excited to hang out in the Detroit airport!

3 comments:

  1. When I was in grad school, DTW was my home airport. Once, because I misread when my flight left (got the Christmas flight home confused with the Mystery Hunt flight a few weeks later), I was so early that I had five hours to kill at the airport.

    That indoor monorail becomes less exciting the more and more you ride it.

    However, I do recommend getting food at the PB&J stand. As a bonus, it's right next to a Mrs Fields, so you can get a PB+Honey+Banana sandwich, a chocolate chip cookie, and a milk for maximum elementary school-style lunch. It's my favorite food spot in all the airports I ever fly through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG RHODE I flew back today before I saw this comment, and I went to the PBJ stand and had a PB & honey sandwich for dinner! Great minds...

      Delete
  2. There are also driverless trains downtown on Detroit's (aptly named) People Mover.
    You can come stay with us whenever you want to ride the robot trains!

    ReplyDelete