Friday, October 31, 2014

Travel Food

I just finished the 3 consecutive weeks of travel part of my fall, and am embarrassingly excited to sit at home and do as little as possible for the next few weeks. When I travel for work I am mostly working the whole time I'm in whatever place, but I did manage to squeeze in a little bit of non-work over the past few weeks.

The night before my St. Louis conference began, I went with some work friends to Lambert's Cafe - aka that place where they throw rolls at you across the room and walk around ladling out fried okra from a giant bucket. It was a two hour drive from St. Louis, and it was worth it!
Yes, that is the "small" drink size.
After that conference ended we had about two hours to kill before our flights left, so of course we went to the (free) St. Louis zoo, where we ate pumpkin funnel cake à la mode and drank beer as we walked around.
Living in PA has made drinking in public a very surreal experience for me.
This past week I was in Milwaukee, and I flew in a day early so I could spend time with my work friend who lives there. It was totally worth it because I got to go trick or treating with her ADORABLE niece and nephew.
Anna and Olaf
Best day ever!
Then we pretty much worked forever (I was there to execute a big project with her), but we did eat this:
Monkey bread!!
And this:
Ethiopian food!
And - finally - we got to try PUMPPLE!! Pumpple is the infamous "turducken of cakes" made here in Philly (it's a pumpkin pie baked into a chocolate cake layered with an apple pie baked into a vanilla cake), and when this friend was in town over the summer we tried to get some, only to discover that it is seasonal and only available in the fall (I guess because of the pumpkin part?). Anyway, I got a slice before I left and brought it on the flight to Milwaukee, and we had it for breakfast the next day. Each of the constituent parts was good, but having four different cakes/pies in your mouth at once was just kind of... weird. Oh well. It still doesn't deter me from wanting to try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment