Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Excuse my edu-geekout

Okay, I know I'm not an official TFA blogger anymore, but I still work for TFA and am still super-interested in ed reform, so excuse me for a minute while I go crazy about three totally awesome things that are happening in rapid succession:

1. President Obama gave his back to school speech from Masterman school here in Philly today! We all watched it live in the office, it was super-exciting and reminded me of watching it with my students this time last year. Weird.

2. Also right here in Philly today, Colorado state senator Michael Johnston (TFA '97) is speaking at a local dinner for educational philanthropists. Michael Johnston is one of my heroes because within a year of taking office, he basically single-handedly took down the Colorado teacher tenure system - something we are unfortunately still very far away from achieving here on the East coast. Sadly, I don't get to go to the dinner or meet him, but one of my friends from work gets to pick him up at the airport and drive him to the dinner! I'm very jealous, and will be picking her brain about it tomorrow.

3. One week from yesterday, my favorite TV show (I know, I'm a dork) is going to have an episode all about ed reform, featuring interviews with Bill Gates and another of my TFA-alum heroes, Michelle Rhee. The episode is because of the upcoming documentary Wating For Superman, which I can't wait to see!

Okay, I'm done for now. But I do encourage everyone to watch Oprah next Monday, and to pledge to see Waiting For Superman when it comes out on the 24th!

No comments:

Post a Comment