Sunday, September 19, 2010

Trash chute fail

A few weeks ago Ben and I were walking around Philly when we saw something spectacular. I didn't have my camera with me and knew we wouldn't be able to go back for a few weeks because of the condo buying/painting/abating and then going to NYC this weekend, so I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to capture it on film because it seemed like it was quite temporary. We finally made it back over there today with a camera in tow, and lucky for us it was still there!
In case you can't tell, that is an entire trash chute made out of nested trash cans with their bottoms cut out! And it isn't just a fleeting construction of last-minute necessity, since it has been there for at least a few weeks.
The best part is, there isn't even a trash can or dumpster underneath it to catch any garbage. It just dumps onto the sidewalk.
I think I am starting to like living in Philly.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are failing to consider other options for this invention. I am having a hard time thinking it is a trash chute, for there is no trash underneath it in a pile as would be expected.

    Maybe the residents of the apartment just have many trashcans without bottoms and no other way to store them other than out of their window? Or maybe it an ultimate physical challenge for their friends. Only people who can climb up the tunnel of trashcans are worthy of their company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well chute, that structure is uncanny.

    ReplyDelete