Sunday, January 30, 2011

Martha Stewart Living

I had a very 1950s housewife kind of day today. I spent three hours at my new sewing class learning how to make a skirt - it turns out clothes are really complicated. I'm quite proud of myself so far, because by the end of the day I did manage to correctly install a functional zipper (although I had to pick out the stitches attaching it and try again a few times before I got it right). I'll theoretically finish the whole thing next weekend, and once I can make a skirt it's only a matter of time before I'm making all of our clothes.

On my way back from sewing class I stopped at the grocery store for the week's food, and inspired by Sam's visit a few weeks ago I decided to try something outside my typical culinary comfort zone:

Vegetable risotto!
It turned out great, despite violating all my typical cooking limitations:
  • It took more than 20 minutes.
  • It had more than three distinct ingredients.
  • It involved cooking multiple components separately from each other, then combining them in a time- and temperature-sensitive manner.
Since I knew the risotto would take a long time to cook, I decided to do the laundry in parallel for maximum efficiency. Now it isn't even seven o'clock and I have sewn (half a) garment, cooked a fancy dinner, and done the week's laundry, and I am exhausted. And I had access to machines to sew, wash and dry the clothes, and do the dishes for me; I can't imagine how anyone got all this stuff done by hand back in the day. It's tiring just thinking about it... I'm going to take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment