Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'm rich!

You guys, it turns out I get to keep all that money Lehman sent me! I guess they didn't actually charge us TFAers the full amount of our AmeriCorps grants, so when we signed over all our AmeriCorps money to them there was extra left over, and they refunded it! I'm not actually sure if that's technically legal, because I don't think you're supposed to be able to turn an AmeriCorps grant into cash monies, but I'm pretty sure if anyone gets in trouble for this it'll be Lehman, since they apparently sent equivalent checks to all their 2008 TFA students. Except for poor Ms. L, who was the only one who realized that Lehman tuition was less than our AmeriCorps grants and only signed over the correct amount, instead of the whole thing. Now her extra $3k is sitting in an AmeriCorps fund, in case she wants to go back to grad school. Again. That's what you get for paying attention!

AND on top of that unexpected windfall, those awful movers saw my poor review of them on yelp, and asked me if I'd consider changing it for $100 refund. Heck yes I'll change it! I love the internet!

So because I didn't read the fine print at Lehman and I complained on the internet, Ben and I can now afford to buy a new dishwasher, blinds (which are surprisingly expensive), and still have pay our mortgage and condo fees for a month with the leftovers. If I'd have known that we'd be winning the lottery, I would have splurged for the whisper-close toilet!

2 comments:

  1. They only give you the refund if you change your review? That sucks! That's less refund and more like hush money. Now fewer people will know not to call them. Jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is basically bribery for me to shut up.

    I did tell them that I wouldn't make it completely positive, I would just tone down the (admittedly hyperbolic) description of what happened, and include that they offered me a partial refund as a way to make up for the unsatisfactory service. And they actually haven't responded yes or no to that proposal, so maybe they won't take it... I don't think I'd be willing to revise it all that much further, especially since the unexpected money from Lehman makes $100 seem less worth lying for.

    ReplyDelete